You’ve come a long way, baby.
YOU GUYS. I actually didn’t want to blog about the Wedding Royale with Cheese today. Why? Mostly because I knew EVERYONE ELSE WOULD BE BLOGGING THE THING. But WOW, lotsa pressure from y’all on Twitter to hear my little ol’ take on the occasion. I’m touched, and a bit frightened… so I, uhh, I hope I get it *right*. (Don’t hurt me.)
Anywho, it was immediately clear that parallels would be drawn to Grace Kelly (their dresses are incredibly similar), and that the internets would generally be all a flutter about how beautiful she looked, no matter what. I mean, you could probably schedule a post the night before; it’s always just so obvious what’s going to be discussed. In fact I wanted to start our letterpress giveaway (THAT’S RIGHT) today instead, and completely ignore the Royal Wedding. What?!! Really, I did. But then a billion things happened, Royal-Wedding-style, that I totally HAD to talk to you about… sooooo I decided next week’s perfect for our giveaway. I probably shouldn’t have told you about that just now. Stupid, Alison. Stupid, stupid! Ok, please don’t be upset, it’s worth the short wait. And it’s also the perfect time to reveal our Sarah Seven and Tessa Kim giveaway winners. So that’s next week, y’all. You’ve OBVIOUSLY waited long enough. Ok, onwards…
Here’s what my Mom texted me this morning:
You up? The wedding brought tears to my eyes. I did not think I would react this way. It was so beautiful. She was so cool and collected. She fits the role perfectly! You can see how comfortable they are with one another.
I shared that with you guys because I think she captured how I felt this morning, and how quite a lot of people felt about this event. Heck, I’ve been poking fun at the whole thing for the last two days here on the blog. Clearly, I just wasn’t caught up in it yet.
All I can think to say right now is thank goodness Kate rocked the look that she did. Because I was not in the mood to trudge through a gazillion wedding submissions featuring brides with puffy long sleeves or aggressively large fascinators for the next year or so. Because it’s inevitable; young thangs far and wide will be using the Royal Wedding as inspiration for their own nuptials for years to come, and we wedding bloggers can only hope that their source of inspiration will be classic and gorgeous enough to encourage spin-offs that keep things firmly settled in Tasteful Land. So I was delighted to see that today’s wedding ceremony and all events surrounding it thus far have been incredibly understated – as Royal Weddings go – and I’m actually *excited* to see what brides source from the event. Oh and by the way… I CRIED.
Yep. I turned on the television, saw Kate, and tears welled up and began to fly out of my eyes. It was like someone pepper sprayed me with emotional feelings. Like the mama, I did not think I would react this way. But then I was like, Alison, you LOVE weddings. That’s why you do what you do. You save vendor applications from cinematographers for last, because you know you’re going to sob like a colicky baby when you finally review their films. So OF COURSE YOU’RE GOING TO CRY OVER “THE BIGGEST WEDDING OF THE CENTURY (or so they say)!”
Of course, being me, aside from crying, I also took note of some unexpected moments, and I’d like to share them with you as well as get your thoughts and feelings about them:
1. This ring ceremony made my freaking DAY. The wedding band? Made from a nugget of Welsh gold. BOOYAH. Officially totally acceptable to wear a gold ring with an anything-but-gold-engagement ring, y’all! It’s an age-old concern, to worry about matching your set. But really, it’s not a big deal. So stop worrying if you’re in the wrong to want a wedding band that doesn’t match your engagement ring. It’s really your call.
2. Many are speculating that Kate’s family (those are her parents, Michael and Carole) will not be very involved in her life, if at all, from this point on. And that it’s just the way things go once you become a member of the royal family. I don’t really love that. At all. What think you?
3. Clearly, Camilla’s lobbying was effective, because Kate emerged with a Cartier tiara atop her head. Are you a fan of the tiara look for your wedding day?
4. Kate’s maid of honor and sister, Pippa, wore a white gown by Alexander McQueen as well. What are you thoughts on that?
5. Kate’s veil. Personally, I loved it. In my earliest daydreams of a being a bride, I imagined myself wearing a blusher (a veil that features a layer to veil your face as you approach your groom, and then can be lifted over your head). You really don’t see those all the time. But now that Kate’s rocked one, HELLOOOOO BLUSHERS.
6. Kate seemed a bit unstable, physically, as they were exchanging vows. Do you think she was just overwhelmed and fatigued? Or was it a bit of hesitation/fear?
7. Kate’s gown was quite 50s in silhouette, with gorgeous embroidered sheer sleeves and a slightly deep v. Much less ostentatious or fashion-forward than many had hoped, but you guys, I really, really loved it. You know why? Because that embroidered sheer sleeve look is kind of my dream dress. I believe this confirms that I have royal taste. High five!
8. Kate did have a beautician, but apparently she wanted to do her own makeup. I should note here that she’s been formally trained by a professional makeup artist, but still, that’s pretty bold. I was actually quite shocked by this decision. How do you think she did? A little too heavy on the smokey eye? Or just right? And would you do your own makeup?
9. Check out the royal wedding cake being served tonight. I was kind of completely expecting it to look like this. I have cake esp. What do you think of the look?
10. And finally, this little event made my freaking DAY…
Will and Kate did something unprecedented, by departing for their “period of reflection” (aka, sexy time or sleepy time, depending on their mutual energy levels, as well as the time of month… ya feel me, ladeeez?) before the reception in an Aston Martin (aka, every guy’s dream car) loaned by Prince Charles. The license plate read, “JUST WED”… loves it. You?
Lastly, did you totally not give a crap about this wedding, and still don’t? Or did you eat it up like I did, once it got underway?
Also, are you kinda psyched about the letterpress giveaway? Tee hee.
Happy Friday, friendlies! Can’t wait to hear your feedback on all of this.
xoxo! – Alison
All images credited within names.