So if you’re anything like me:
1) To be productive you need either a million cacophonous voices filling a room, continuous music that is exclusively instrumental, or complete silence. It’s one of those or you’re not getting any work done that day.
2) You try to multitask things that shouldn’t be multitasked, creating more work. This morning I grabbed the coffee pot to pour a cup of coffee with my left hand but decided simultaneously to grab the spent coffee filter with my right hand (and if you’ve ever handled a wet, thin filter filled with finely ground coffee beans in it), but when I realized my foot couldn’t do its part in opening the trashdoor under the sink (this is when my brain caught up with my body) it forced me to set one thing down, just to keep things moving forward. So I set it in the nearest place which was the sink. <== making more work for myself (but also had a laugh at myself, so, *worth it*)
3) You can’t resist checking URL availability for every neat business name/idea that pops in your head. and each time the url is parked. and if it’s available you 9 times out of 10 don’t buy it because who has time.
4) You’re taking a hiatus from reading anything about pregnancy/labor/delivery so that you can get into a mindspace of actually wanting/looking forward to having the child(ren) of your future, should you be so lucky/(unlucky ???)
(Ignorance truly was bliss.)
5) You love a good photo editing app on your phone, whether it be for use with your blog, your design portfolio, for I guess scrapbooking, just for fun, really any reason under the sun that you’d find yourself in need of hot-ass photo editing tools that make shit pretty.
AND FINALLY… 6) You tend to take a lot of pictures with your phone. Probably to a point where you’re questioning if you need to stop taking so many pictures with your phone.
I feel terrible contributing to what I see everywhere around me, which is people’s faces in their phones. I make eye contact with like 8% of the pedestrians I pass on walks in the city now, compared to that time in history not too long ago before we all started spending every day in front of a computer screen. And it’s not like you escape it in the creative industry; I spend MORE time in front of my computer now than I ever did working for the Man. It’s actually kind of sad when you think about it. So I try not to think about it for too long! We all used to communicate so much more! out in public and at home. Yikes. *everyone has a good cry; continues reading..*
Ok, SO! Today we’ll be discussing a couple of MVPs on my iphone’s screen: the VSCO app and the AfterLight (formerly AfterGlow) app.
Popular software maker Visual Supply Co developed the VSCO Cam app, while AfterLight is the brainchild of Simon Filip. Both are currently priced at $0.99. These two babies are the duo that essentially get me through my day, both for pleasurable distraction and for photos I intend to share with family and friends. AfterLight and VSCO are my co-maids of honor if we’re talking frequency of use/affection for. They do the job, do it well, and they do it every time. And they wear the goddamn dress I TELL THEM TO WEAR.
The filters/adjustment tools I use most often and find key to a functional core knowledge of the two apps, are all employed in this blog post through visual examples of shit in my home.
Aright, let’s do this!
That’s a picture I took of a cookie I ate today. You probably can’t tell but it was tasty thank you for asking; especially for a gluten free cookie AMIRITE GLUTEN INTOLERANTS (where my intolerants at). A really big thank you to our friend Ari (hi Ari!) for making them from scratch; u r nice my friend! <– attn. single ladies in NYC: a man who makes gluten free cookies from scratch and leaves them in their friends’ freezer to be kind not only exists, but is on the market, no seriously.
Ok back to what I saying. That up there is the original pic I took with my phone – I call it, “my hands are dry and there’s chocolate (or something more sinister) under my thumbnail.” I gave it this name because, well two things. So there is a delicious fresh-baked piece of warm gooey cookie in the foreground right? Even MORE cookie behind it not to mention a stripy bamboo eating utensil because HIP, MUST BE HIP – yet still all I can see are the coffee stains on the counter, the patch of dry skin on ma thumbsywumsy, and the speck of dirt under my nail *throws up*
Who wants to see dry skin holding/hanging out nearby dessert food? I think we all know it’s NO ONE, that’s who. Let’s make this person’s hand more socially acceptable shall we?
…not too shabby on the left. But wait, there’s more!
That’s right! You, too, can have crisp, clear photos just by refining your VSCO app edits with a little tool I obsess over called ‘Sharpening,’ found in the AfterLight app. Omg you’re gonna die when you see this. Prepare to faint from the shock:
You’ll notice: I typically edit first in VSCO, save that image & then edit that newly edited image in AfterLight. I find it is the most effective approach, for me. Tho I do want to note- definitely don’t stick to any rules when editing your photos; play around! There’s no right way to do it, obvs. Besides there are so many other cool features of these apps that you simply *must* take part in. Like for example AfterLight has triangle cut-outs. THEY HAVE TRIANGLE CUT-OUTS, PEOPLE. And lots more.
MAKING A DRESS / ART INSTALLATION *POP*, OR SOME SHIT
The step by step process:
MORE COOKIE EDITING
Arighty so I hope you liked this installment of the new tutorial / cool apps series, lemme know if you want more like this- thanks!
Have you used VSCO / AfterLight already? Do you like?
Do you hate photo editing apps with all your heart and feel that they should burn in hell for all eternity, the sons of bitches?
Do you love warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies? Me too.
Out of all the apps on your phone, what’s your FAVE app, right now. Personally I’m a huge fan of Pandora, I bet you’ve heard of it. Great music app that works around your taste in music. But pandora please- less music perfectly curated around my likes and interests. I’m trying to WORK, here.
much love and hugs you guys!
Label(s): Cool Apps